Academic Journal Observations
For this activity, you will need a variety of journals in your field. FIELD IS ABA
Please use the Capella library to locate your journal articles. You can use the Topic Guides to find professional collections, journal links, and search techniques for your own specialization or program.
Once you have located several peer-reviewed articles from journals in your field, select three of them to concentrate on for this activity. Do not, at this time, spend a lot of time reading the articles. Instead, read the abstracts, conclusions and discussions, and a selection of paragraphs from the journals.
As you read, make notes about the style of writing. Is it formal? Is it a narrative? What is the purpose of the text? Who seems to be the audience? How is APA used? How are ideas presented in the text? How long are the paragraphs?
Finally, review the notes that you have made on your journal observations. In a short 1–2 page essay, define and describe the writing in the journals. Examine the structure of your field’s publications and analyze the writing in the journals in connection with your writing in the classroom.
Don’t be afraid to contact Ask a Librarian via phone, email, or chat if you get stuck. Contact information is available at the bottom of the Library Help page.
Your assignment will be scored on the following criteria:
- Apply information literacy to a specific field of study.
- Select reputable academic sources.
- Summarize the scope, structure, and the main ideas of the sources.
- Compare and contrast publications or writing styles.
- Use proper APA citation and format.
- See the Academic Journal Observations Scoring Guide for more details.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to give you feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
To achieve a successful experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements:
- Written Communication: Paper is free of errors that detract from the overall message and uses language appropriate for the intended business and scholarly doctoral audiences.
- Formatting: Paper, references, and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length: 1–2 pages, with a minimum of 3 cited resources.
- Font and Font Size: Times New Roman, 12-point. Double-spaced.
- Submission Instructions: Attach document in Microsoft Word format and upload to this assignment area. In the Submission text box, enter any brief questions or comments related to your completed assignment.
- Academic Journal Observations Scoring Guide.
- Conducting Library Research.
- Get Critical Search Skills.
- Library Help.
- Writing Feedback Tool.
- Topic Guides Library Guide.