Students will individually select an organization, assess its staffing effectiveness and make recommendations to improve its staffing plans and results though the approaches, principles and methods learning in the class. Specifically, you will design a strategy to identify, select, recruit, train and retain suitable staff for that organization.
*The term paper should be at least 1,500 words with at least 3 scholarly references in addition to your eText for a minimum of 4 total references. Please keep in mind that the word count requirements point out the minimum amount of effort that should be put into the paper. Word count isn’t everything because quality of writing and research matters as well, but it is an indication of the quantity of effort put into the assignment. Note that word count does not include title, abstract, or reference pages. Not following this requirement will significantly impact the grade.
- Use scholarly peer-reviewed references rather than websites. Scholarly references are generally more credible and make a more persuasive argument. Non-academic websites are not typically recommended for academic writing. While most of the information generally is correct, it is not always reliable because anyone can change the content, bias is often present, and it is not peer-reviewed. For example, it’s best not to use news websites, Wikipedia, investopedia.com, about.com, smallbusiness.chron.com, huffingtonpost.com, ehow.com, forbes.com, cnn.com, online encyclopedias, or similar non-academic websites. Articles in these types of websites are written by reporters or individuals who may or may not be experts in the field, and consequently may have incorrect or biased information. Instead, it adds much more credibility to use the class eText, other related textbooks, and peer-reviewed articles, i.e. scholars have analyzed and evaluated the content for accuracy, quality, and reliability. Be sure to use the university library to help you find these types of scholarly references. The library has a setting in database searches that allow you to search for peer-reviewed articles only.
- It is acceptable to use a company website for research, say for example if you are researching Apple, it’s ok to use www.apple.com to describe their mission, strategy, financials, etc.
The term paper report structure is as follows: This structure is only to help students to get started and think further in this direction. Students are free to adapt the structure of the research report as they desire.
- Introduction: Background and Context: Discuss type of industry, products/services, existing staffing, competition in the context of staffing management, and how organizational vision and strategies have influenced their staffing.
- Analysis of current managerial style and philosophy in relation to staffing.
- Analysis of key terms and principles learned in class and how they relate to the current status and future staffing goals of the company.
- Analysis of related Organizational Systems, Policies & Culture.