HUM 111 WEEK 6 DISCUSSION
Week 6 Discussion Option A
“Angkor and Benin” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• Compare Angkor (and its temple, Angkor Wat) in southeast Asia (ca. 1100s-1200s AD) with the city of Benin in West Africa (ca 1400s AD), and discuss differences, similarities, and religious ideals in each place. Identify a modern day religious or political center that these call to mind.
Angkor and Benin –Southeast Asia and West Africa
• Chapter 11 (pp. 375-6), Angkor Wat (in Cambodia), history and connections to Hindu beliefs; (pp. 386-7), Benin (in Nigeria, West Africa); Review “Week 6 Music” folder
• Video on Angkor Wat at http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/specials/ancient-mysteries/angkor-wat-temples/
• Benin City’s history: See and http://africa.si.edu/exhibitions/current-exhibitions/alonge/history-of-benin/; (This city is in Nigeria; don’t confuse it with the modern country called Benin not far away)
Week 6 Discussion Option B
“Europe’s Cathedral Architecture” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
• Identify the key functions of stained glass windows in the Gothic style in Europe’s cathedral architecture. Identify two (2) differences between the Romanesque and Gothic cathedral structures, and discuss which you prefer and the reasons why. Identify one (1) existing structure (the closer to your home the better) that is Romanesque or Gothic, and explain the features that support your identification.
Gothic Style of Cathedral Architecture
• Chapter 12 (pp. 407-413), Stained glass windows; review Week 6 Music Folder
• Stained glass windows at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9727p6ozlYo
• Key differences between Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D20tG65TWic
FOUR DIFFERENT ANSWER VERSIONS POSTED AS A BONUS CHOOSE ANYONE