- Think about an informative speech that you would like to present on a topic of your choice.
- The speech can be for any context and any length, but the purpose must be to inform. See the list of example speech occasions for inspiration.
- Download and answer each question in the the Unit 2 Touchstone Template based on the speech you are thinking of: Touchstone_2_Template.doc
- Consider your audience, purpose, and thesis and complete Part 1 of the template.
- Utilize your program resources, the internet or a local library to find three credible sources that are relevant to your speech and complete Part 2 of the template.
- Read through your sources to identify five pieces of evidence that support your thesis and complete Part 3 of the template. Be sure to use at least three different types of sources (example, statistic, analogy, definition, visual, story, testimony).
- Review the rubric to ensure that you understand how you will be evaluated. Ask a Sophia learning coach if you have any questions.
- Review the checklist and requirements to ensure that your Touchstone is complete.
- Submit your completed Unit 2 Touchstone Template on Sophia.
Touchstone Support Videos
Evaluating your Sources
Maintaining Relevance and Balance
- Demonstration presentation (showing how to do something)
- Product analysis
- Presenting academic work (paper, research, report)
- Present and explain original creative work
- Sharing relevant information at a community gathering (PTA meeting, boy/girl scout convention, town hall, homeowner’s association, athletic league, school board meeting, etc.)
- Communicating a community initiative or policy
- Presenting to staff (new initiatives, pep talks, announcements, etc.)
- Presenting to colleagues or peers (idea sharing, status updates, etc.)
- Presenting to superiors (project plan, project summary, etc.)
_ I have completed all aspects of the template.
_ My answers demonstrate thoughtful consideration of each question.
_ I have selected sources that are credible and relevant.
_ I have selected five pieces of support that are relevant to my thesis.
_ I have selected three or more different kinds of support.
_ I have adhered to all of the requirements.
_ I have read through the rubric and I understand how my Touchstone will be evaluated.
- All writing must be appropriate for an academic context
- Follow academic writing conventions (correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting)
- Composition must be original and written for this assignment; plagiarism of any kind is strictly prohibited
- Use a readable 11- or 12-point font
- Submission should include your name and the date
- Submit a single file only, including the answers to all questions
- Acceptable file formats include .doc and .docx.